Hey All, So I finally got around to test driving a Wrangler Unlimited, and it definitely was a different experience. Up until getting a ...

Test Drove a Wrangler for the first time ever, just random thoughts and a few questions

Test Drove a Wrangler for the first time ever, just random thoughts and a few questions

Test Drove a Wrangler for the first time ever, just random thoughts and a few questions

8 10 99

Hey All,

So I finally got around to test driving a Wrangler Unlimited, and it definitely was a different experience. Up until getting a Subaru every vehicle I ever had as been a sedan or hatchback, and I have this itching for my next car to have something "different" out of my realm, basically a truck based SUV. Enter the Wrangler for my short list.

I guess the first thing I should mention, and I have only been to one dealer so far but the dealership experience this weekend at Jeep was absolutely terrible compared to my dealership experiences with Subaru. I had an appointment where I explicably said that I am here for a test drive only, won't be making a decision until far later, and if I decide to get a Wrangler I will be doing a factory order. The salesperson kept asking me over and over or directing me that he could get me into a Wrangler today. He kept also questioning why I wanted to do a factory order as "we have a lot on the lot" to choose from. I am way too polite of a person and just kept giving polite answers, but in reality I wanted to slap this guy at some point and tell him to be quiet already. He also went along for the test drive, which was incredibly short.

I was also interested in the 4 cylinder turbo and he flat out said "We dont make those" which obviously they do. Something I just ignored because once again, no intention of buying today. One funny moment was when I was leaving he was like "please come say hi to my manager let me go get him!" and I hear them talking in the background and he goes "If he doesn't plan on making a purchase until January why do you want me to go over there?" So he comes back alone and is like okaaay talk to you later. :facepalm:

With Subaru my experience has always been "here are the keys, come back whenever, if you like it let me know and we can talk." I swear I felt like I was dealing with a dealer in 1995. Please just let me drive the vehicle in peace for a little bit.

So my initial thoughts after never really being inside a Wrangler was:

-It felt a little more cramped than I was expecting, it wasn't bad or anything, just thought it would feel bigger

-Cargo area wasn't as big as I imagined

-Shifting from 2WD to 4HI took some serious effort, I wasn't expecting that

-Being a researcher and doing a lot of research beforehand I thought people were exaggerating about the vehicle not being great for road for tips that last like 8 hours, but now I could see being uncomfortable for a trip longer than a few hours

- I still really liked it, it just felt "fun" overall, and I totally see the appeal and I am still gravitating towards getting one if its fits my budget.

So, just had a few questions:

-I didnt drive one, but I am really intrigued by the 4 cylinder and I think I would order one with that engine, any reason not to?

-I would get an Unlimited S or Altitude most likely, the Altitude has 18 inch rims but I actually prefer 17 inch rims, for light off roading, will those 18 inch rims be much worse, or does it not really matter?

-At first I was gung ho about getting the hard top, but after further thought, I have a house with no garage, so storing a hard top if I chose to take it off for a ride would be a tarp in the backyard. Do you think a soft top is the better choice actually? My thought was I am in Michigan and winters exist here, so hard top for insulation. But storing a soft top would be way easier, and, cheaper if I order.

Well thats about it, I will have to do another test drive in the future and hopefully with a less annoying dealership.Mon, 09 Nov 2020 14:45:59 GMT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit this link to stop these emails: http://zpr.io/tJLT4

0 comments: